Frozen peanut butter apple slices
Simply coat apple slices in some peanut butter* and pop them into the freezer for a few hours before serving. This is a quick and easy frozen treat for when you are on the go. You can also try this with other fruit such as bananas or watermelon.
Frozen stuffed toy
Rubber hollow toys with holes make for great fun when stuffed and frozen. Fill the toy with fruit pieces, peanut butter, and other tasty dog treats. These will keep your pet busy for a while, ideal for those lazy days at home or if you need to pop out and are trying to avoid any destruction of your home or garden while your dog is left alone.
Whether your dog has a sweet or savoury tooth, popsicles are always fun and great for you or your children to interact with your dog while they keep licking the stick. Have fun creating pet friendly smoothies with a mixture of pet friendly fruits or freeze savoury foods such as chicken or beef broth*, add a doggy long treat as the “stick” and serve!
Simply freeze some broth or a smoothie into an ice cube tray and serve as a delicious treat!
Easy “pupsicle” recipes
- ¼ Watermelon (Remove rind and most of the seeds)
- 1 tin coconut milk
Combine in a blender and pour into ice cube trays or popsicle moulds. These should freeze in 4 hours. Serve on a hot summer’s day!
- Did you know that coconut milk is not toxic to dogs and can even offer a few health benefits, such as strengthening the immune system, freshening their breath, and improving the appearance of their coat. However, too much coconut milk or coconut milk-based foods might cause diarrhea or loose stools in your dog.
Strawberry and banana smoothie treats
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 ½ cups plain Greek yoghurt
- 1 banana, sliced
- ¼ cup skim milk
- 3 tablespoons honey
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into mold of choice and freeze for 4 hours. Pop out of the molds and serve!
- Strawberries are full of fiber and vitamin C. Along with that, they also contain an enzyme that can help whiten your dog’s teeth as he or she eats them. They contain sugar, so be sure to give them in moderation.
- Bananas, given in moderation, are a great low-calorie treat for dogs. They’re high in potassium, vitamins, biotin, fiber, and copper. They are low in cholesterol and sodium, but because of their high sugar content, bananas should be given as a treat, not part of your dog’s main diet.
Peanut butter and banana treats
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 1 ½ cups plain Greek yoghurt
- ½ cup plain peanut butter*
Blend all ingredients together until smooth. Spoon mixture into molds and place in the freezer. Serve after a min of 4 hours.
Get your creative juices flowing! You can blend and freeze any pet friendly foods. For a fuller list of human foods your dogs can and shouldn’t enjoy, see our article here.
– Avoid peanut butter that contains xylitol. Raw, plain peanut butter with no added ingredients is best for dogs.
– Ensure that the broth does not contain onions or garlic and has little to no salt in it.
- BuzzFeed. 2021. 13 Frozen Treats To Make For Your Doggo All Summer Long. [online] Available at: https://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahloewentheil/frozen-treats-for-dogs [Accessed 22 November 2021].
- Pawlicy Advisor. 2021. Can Dogs Eat Coconut? Here’s Everything You Need to Know. [online] Available at: https://www.pawlicy.com/blog/can-dogs-eat-coconut/#coconut-milk [Accessed 24 November 2021].
- coast, d., 2021. Homemade Summer Treats To Keep Your Pooch Cool This Summer. [online] Alliance of Therapy Dogs Inc. Available at: https://www.therapydogs.com/homemade-summer-treats-keep-pup-cool-this-summer/ [Accessed 22 November 2021].
- grrfeisty. 2021. DIY Frozen Watermelon Dog Treats. [online] Available at: https://grrfeisty.com/2016/06/watermelon-pupsicles.html [Accessed 22 November 2021].
- American Kennel Club. 2021. Fruits & Vegetables Dogs Can and Can’t Eat. [online] Available at: https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutrition/fruits-vegetables-dogs-can-and-cant-eat/ [Accessed 24 November 2021].
- Sugar and Soul. 2021. Peanut Butter & Banana Frozen Dog Treats. [online] Available at: https://www.sugarandsoul.co/frozen-dog-treats/ [Accessed 22 November 2021].
- Treats, F., 2021. Strawberry Banana Smoothie Frozen Dog Treats | The Cottage Market. [online] The Cottage Market. Available at: https://thecottagemarket.com/frozen-strawberry-banana-smoothie-dog-treats/ [Accessed 22 November 2021].